Thursday 6 February 2014

Buddhism

95% of the population of Thailand practice Theravada Buddhism.  I was confused by the display of many Hindu symbols and also a huge statue of Guanyin, the Chinese Goddess of Mercy and Compassion who has 18 arms.  This is at the Wat Plai Laem Temple on Samui.  An explanation for this is here: Thai Buddism



















Many Thai people, especially hotel staff, clerks, restaurant staff, as well as people on the street will bow in greeting which I enjoyed very much. If my hands were not full I would put my hands together and bow in return.

There were many Buddhist temples, statues, and other types of buildings all over the island. Lots of colour and gold!

A very popular site to visit is the Big Buddha on Samui.


















No comments:

Post a Comment